I’m not a big fan of the processed seasoning or the beef for tacos, I really have no clue what it is but my stomach revolts against it. They taste SO good at the time I eat them anyway and later regret it. So I decided to make a taco without the beef and with a homemade taco seasoning. Serving size is 3-5 but when I eat with Ben, it’s serving size of 2 because he eats enough for 4 people. So if your significant other eats a lot, be prepared because this is delicious and won’t last long!
This kind of meal has a LOT of opportunities to swap ingredients and add on what you like. Let me know what variations you’ve tried and how you liked it!
Prep Time: 12 min
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
1-1 1/2 lbs Chicken strips (or chicken breasts you can cut into strips, these tend to be cheaper)
1/2 diced Onion
1 diced Red Pepper (Choose any color you’d like)
1 1/2 or 2 diced Avocados
1 Package of wheat tortilla wraps or pita bread (we used Flatout flatbread: multi-grain with flax, but you could use anything you want to)
( I typically don’t use all the seasoning, I just sprinkle on some until I think it’s enough 🙂 )
1 Tbl chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder/minced onion
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp paprika (if not available, use more chili powder)
1 1/2 tsp cumin (if not available, use more chili powder)
1 tsp salt
1tsp black pepper
- Heat up two pans with olive oil on medium heat
- If you grabbed chicken breasts, just cut down them down to equal strip sizes.
- Chop up the onion, peppers, and avocado
- Toss the chopped vegetables in a pan and add some black pepper, garlic powder, and a few drops of lemon juice and saute, stirring every few minutes. Cook for a total of about 12-15 minutes.
- Lay the chicken strips in the second pan and sprinkle on some of the seasoning on top and cook for about 5 minutes on each side then flip. I typically don’t use all the seasoning and may only use 1/3 of what I make.
- Once chicken is cooked, lay on plate a take a knife and fork and cut/shred into smaller pieces then put back in pan on low.
- Gather up utensils and start the taco assembly line! Enjoy!