If you ask my mother-in-law what I like to eat for dinner, she’ll tell you chicken is not always my favorite protein. I used to be a liiiiiitle picky and there were a few times I would (hopefully, subtly and politely) opt out of the chicken for a PB & J sandwich. She still makes fun of me till this day, and rightfully so.
This recipe is an easy way to add flavor to chicken [not that my my mother-in-law’s chicken wasn’t flavorful 😉 ] In this recipe you’ll find a sweet and spicy mango salsa paired with juicy chicken! Clean up your drool and start cooking!
Serve Size: 4
Prep/Marinading Time: 30+ minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 cups quinoa
- 4 cups of water
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (2.5 lemons)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 ripe mangos, diced
- 3 medium size tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 minced jalapeno (seeds are the hottest part, remove seeds if you just want a little kick)
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- Juice from one lime
Directions for Chicken
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- I took each chicken breasts and cut them into 4 somewhat equal pieces. This cuts down on cooking time but also allows folks to take as much chicken as they’d like.
- Add the chicken to the marinade bowl, or add chicken and marinade to a 13X9 pan or a plastic bag and marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Place the chicken into a 13X9 glass pan and cook for 40 minutes
- OR if you have a grill and you can find a NON-rainy day, you could grill the chicken instead.
- While the chicken is marinading, let’s make the Mango Salsa!
- To prep the mango, watch this video. It’s much easier than reading my directions 😉
- Mango Picking Tip: I typically have to buy my mangos 3-5 days before I actually want to use them. They are kind of like pears in that they are typically stiff when bought but turn ripe and squishy after a few days. It should be like cutting through butter once they are ripe.
- Add the diced mango, diced tomato, chopped cilantro, minced jalapeno, chopped white onion, and lime juice to a medium sized bowl.
Directions for Quinoa
- Cook quinoa according to the directions. You’ll add the water and quinoa to a medium sized pot and bring it to boiling temperatures. Then lower the heat to a 2 or 3 and cover for 10-12 minutes.
- You’ll know the quinoa is done once little spirals come out of the quinoa.
Place the quinoa and chicken on a plate, gently top it off with the mango salsa!